Saturday 4 July 2015

Yamaha EOS (Efficiency of Swingweight) and Yamaha EOS RZ

Yamaha EOS with weight distributed towards top of the frame to promote swingability
 The Yamaha EOS was this great company's final entry into the tennis racket market - a sad day indeed.  Having owned a few rackets I can say that Yamaha have some of the nicest constructed rackets I have come across - real build quality!  They look good too.  Such as shame they no longer appear on the tennis tour.  The word online is that the EOS led to a patent infraction with Wilson over their Hammer model, and in order to settle the dispute Yamaha agreed to quit racket production altogether.  If true, I can see why Wilson settled for this because they knew they were losing a major competitor in the market.

The EOS is a lightweight frame with nice flex, but certainly not as flexy as other sticks of theirs I have tried.  Importantly, these EOS frames can still hold their own against modern rackets, which is one of the reasons I love Yamaha so much.  Pictured above is the 100 sq. inch EOS model in sandal brown...and below is the EOS RZ, with the slightly larger 110 sq.inch frame and the much
 nicer paint job, don't you think?

a 1990s classic - powerful and light!




6 comments:

  1. Best racket I've ever had...freaked out when they discontinued them...bought up a bunch....but them found Babel at pure drive hit just as well....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey do you still have these 2? wanna sell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, yes would be happy to sell. Feel free to make me an offer and I will think about it. Postage costs would depend on which country you live in. I would mail from the UK.

      Delete
    2. I've just put one on eBay if anyone is interested (zl4 100 2 inch (I know this thread is quite old) thanks for looking!

      Delete
  3. I fondly played with the EOS RZ 100 for 21 years! I could never find a racket that had the touch, feel and power that this racket possessed. Once I started playing competitively again, I found that the fiberglass had seen better days, it took me quite a while to find something that I could play with. I ended up on the Volkl Powerbridge 8 325. It just does not have that sweet feel, but it gets the job done. I still have 3 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe, I had a Yonnex rexking 5 which was all metal but it felt a bit like graphite. I loved it.

    How does the R7 compare to modern raquets ? Can't be nearly as good can it ?

    ReplyDelete